Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Visit to the MFA

So I found out from my friend Adrienne that Wednesdays at the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) are FREE. And FREE is GOOD. Well...almost free - you're 'highly encouraged' to give a donation (which I did, because I support the arts)... ;-)

Anyway, we met up for dinner at Au Bon Pain for a quick bite to eat and then headed to the museum where we immediately went to the Chihuly Exhibit. You can click here for more information about Chihuly himself. These are some of the absolutely GORGEOUS pieces at the exhibit.


This thing was just like the computer Tom Cruise got to use in Minority Report...only this one is for real and not just CGI.


Yes, this exhibit is for real.


Ignore the random hands and JUST LOOK AT THE AWESOMENESS!!!!


The pictures just don't even do it justice...
 

This one was hanging from the ceiling


Just look at it! This was inspired from real life... Apparently the artist decided he wanted to throw his artwork over a bridge into the water to see if it would break. Only 2 out of 100 pieces did and he had some teenagers dive into the river and recover the artwork and put it in a boat before bringing it to shore, so this is the boat of all the glass artwork.


Awesome reflection


Can you believe it???


Stand-alone piece


Perfect computer desktop background


It looks like it's floating in midair 


More separate pieces


How cool is this???


Up close


My favorite flower :)


It just keeps getting cooler and cooler...


...and cooler


Bowl within a bowl within a bowl


This looked like a big glasswork garden


It just kept going...


...and going...


...and going...


I wish I knew how to do this


Doesn't it just look like a scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland?


Haha this one made me laugh


It just looked so crazy!


I can't even fathom how this was made


Can you see all the details?


Another great desktop background


If you click on the images it makes them bigger


Ok now this was probably THE coolest part. They had a glass ceiling and all these pieces resting on the ceiling... Can you tell?


You felt like you were underwater 


I want this to be my ceiling at my future dream house


All colors were present :)


Trying to show you that it's the ceiling... That's the back wall


More ceiling


And still more haha


Now these were very cool too - all of the next ones were hanging from the ceiling


I wish I had as much creativity as he has in his pinkie finger


It was so hard not to reach out and touch it...


See the snail shells?


My favorite color!


Awesomeness


I'm running out of unique things to say about each of these pieces... They're all just SO FREAKIN COOL!!!!


Carolina Blue ;-)


Haha doesn't it look funny?


Last piece in the exhibit...it was kind of a letdown so we decided to work our way back through :)


Whole room


Seeing the 2 rooms


More of the Willy Wonka part


I liked the black and green stripes


Crazy forest 


More crazy forest


The boat again


Close up :)


See the mushroom?


And the flower?


And whatever this thing is???


It's SPECTACULAR


Me and Adrienne :)


Back to the beginning


So pretty....


Oh, can't forget this guy


Haha it looks like a really fragile beanstalk 


Fragile and pointy


I'm so happy I get to see all of this!!!!


Now on to another exhibit...where they have people modeling for an art class. What a surprise to walk around the corner and see this!


And this!


Very cool fish necklace I want


Can we add this to my Christmas list?


Heading out


They're even outside!


What an awesome exhibit....


View on the T ride home (the picture isn't great, you really have to see it in person)


All the people getting off the train to go home...

Oh my gosh what a phenomenal exhibit!!!! I'm so glad I got to see it before it leaves in 2 weeks (and FOR FREE) :-D

Oh oh, one more thing.... I saw this in the gift shop on the way out and if anybody needs some birthday present ideas, this is TOTALLY up my alley ;-) Click here to find it:


Mom, it reminds me of the umbrella you used to have that was grey on top and all blue skies and sunshine underneath.... This is so pretty! I just couldn't bring myself to spend $34 on an umbrella when I already have 2 that I use.... But if I think about it and want it long enough, I may just have to get it.... Or I'll wait for my birthday and see if it shows up ;-) 


Ok, time for bed.... I miss you guys and REALLY wish you could be up here and seeing all this with me! :)

[ Share on Pinterest ]

No comments:

Post a Comment