Thursday, July 11, 2013

Donut Mania

First off...my apologies for the brief absence...I've been quite busy with the new job, trips, and life in general. But among my general life busyness, I've found a new passion: DONUTS (that's how I spell it, at least).

First up:

Cambridge, MA

Now you've all heard me rave about Verna's, so obviously it's gonna be first on my list. It's right around the corner from my apartment, the price can't be beat, and the hole-in-the-wall, neighborhood atmosphere is great. 


My first trip - had to get a random assortment to try


Now that I've been a few (ok...100) times, I know which donut is worth waking up at 6 am to get: the chocolate honey-dipped donut. Get a half dozen. Heck, get a whole dozen and stuff your face with these bad boys.

Bolton, MA

Now, the winery isn't a donut shop, but an orchard and winery that happen to serve some of the best apple cider donuts (I think the *best* ACD I've had is from the booth at the Davis Flea Market...unfortunately I don't have photo documentation of that).


The clencher - that hot caramel drizzled on top (and, of course, some fresh cold apple cider to wash it down)

New York, NY

I was in NYC this past weekend for a friend's birthday and found time to visit this hotspot - it's been on my list of places to try for months (proof on my Pinterest page go [here]). Let me tell you - it did not disappoint! 


Storefront - awesome donut door handles :)


Getting my sugary goodness


The selections for the day


Awesome benches


I just loved the vibe in here - lots of steel/chrome but still vibrant, clean, bright, and colorful


Oh, MY GOODNESS. The little purple-y ones are the absolute most amazing melt-in-your-mouth things you've ever gotten your paws on - Fresh Blueberry & Cream Doughseed. The rest were definitely good, but that little morsel is where it's at


Parting bench shot


My instagram photo (click [here] to see it) is up on their webpage - how cool is that?!?

Somerville, MA

Last, but certainly not least, is my latest find - Union Square Donuts. On one of my last days of funemployment, I ventured out to get my hands on these sought-after treats (hard to get after 11 am). I was in luck!


An unassuming sign...


Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - JACKPOT


My assortment...notice that one in the left-hand corner...


BEHOLD - the pièce de résistance: Maple Bacon Glazed Donut. Yes, you read that right - bacon. on a donut. And not just any bacon - chunky, chewy, smokey bacon....OM NOM NOM. Worth waking up at 5 AM to get over any Cronut-shmonut (which, I will admit, I have not yet tried...but I will!).

Any donut recommendations out there? Must tries? Leave them in the comments! 
[ Share on Pinterest ]

No comments:

Post a Comment