Thursday, January 10, 2013

Not Just Another New Years Resolution

I am feeling FANTASTIC this morning!

I started my 'health kick' last year, and I'm pretty darn stoked about it...I'm trying to eat better, work out more, get more sleep, and live a more balanced life.

Today, I woke up at 5:40 am (ick) and it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed....the getting out of bed is the hardest part of morning workouts - once you plant your feet on the floor and stand up, it's all easy-peezy from there. So I groggily put on my workout gear and ran to the gym, worked out (cardio and legs FTW), came back home, and cooked myself breakfast inspired by Pinterest...and I'm pretty darn impressed with how it turned out (well...not like it's rocket science)...see what I mean:


1 Feldkamp 3 Grain Bread, Toasted
1/2 Avocado, Smashed
1 egg, Scrambled (with cayenne pepper, garlic salt, pepper)
2 Tbs. Reduced Fat Mexican Blend Cheese, Melted (on egg)
Tabasco Sauce, To Taste

And to top it all off, it's only 350 calories! And I started my day off with good fats (avocado) and protein (egg)...can't beat that....oh, and I think I'm also going to try drinking lemon water every morning:


Image and information from [here]

The reasons being (according to the blog linked above):

Number 1
It balances pH--Lemon is an acidic food, but once metabolized, it becomes alkaline.  I work very hard at keeping my body alkaline.

Number 2
It keeps skin clear and glowing!   I have noticed this.  Hydration from drinking lemon water is great for moisturizing our skin from the inside out.  Lemon also contains lots of Vitamin C, which helps with wrinkles and blemishes.

Number 3
It kick starts the digestive system--a big glass of lemon water is a great way to start the day.  It encourages the liver to produce bile which in turn aids in digestion.  It increases urination which helps purify it.  It also helps with heartburn and constipation.

Number 4
It helps with weight loss--I have read that keeping the body in an alkaline state helps people lose weight faster.  Lemons are high in fiber pectin, which helps keep one full, longer.  They also have a diuretic effect, which helps with water weight gain.

Number 5
It helps control the coffee habit--I will drink coffee sometimes, but only if I have had my entire glass of lemon water. 

Oh aaaaaaaaaaaaand I downloaded this cool app called Fooducate that helps you pick out the right foods - you scan the bar code at the grocery store and it gives the food a score and information on the product:



It took me about twice as long to get through my normal shopping routine, but I felt better about all the products I bought...oh and lastly - lunch today is soba noodles with peanut lime sauce and grilled chicken (that I made myself!). So yeah - I'm pretty pumped about today :) I'll keep you posted on how things go!
[ Share on Pinterest ]

No comments:

Post a Comment